Sunday, January 25, 2009

Memorial Site

This is the mass grave where my brothers and others were buried. My brother does have a marker, the central one. It was a very emotional experience for me to visit. I had a mix of feelings from anger for a life lost too early, sadness for the loss of my guide in life and bitterness that the people surrounding me at the time of this visit and photo had little to no connection to the my brother and this site,yet felt compelled to claim a prayer. I am not sure for whom they pray: the deceased, my family in perpetual grief, or for the show. A communal culture connects through need and/or convenience. In this case, I am not sure. My brother-in-law drew a crowd with his over zealous prayer. I just wanted a moment of silence. My wife placed flowers near the marker. An oddity for onlookers.

No comments:

Post a Comment